Launching the world’s largest 4K screen with Vornado.
How do you get attention in Times Square?
It’s not often you get a chance to design for the world’s largest 4K screen, but that was the opportunity Second Story, part of Razorfish, had with Vornado Realty Trust. Almost 10 stories high and as long as a city block, the screen uses 23 million pixels to deliver a picture like never before seen – and Vornado partnered with us to create an unforgettable event to unveil the screen.
To unveil the screen to the public, we partnered with artist Universal Everything to produce, create, and direct a spectacular graphic display that showcased the screen’s vibrant imagery and colors. We also invited the public into the experience as co-creators by letting them use tablets to create custom films that were shown on screen.
Directly under the screen, we built an event space and invited VIPs to an exclusive launch party with custom-designed invitation packages, 3D printed gifts, and takeaway party favors.
The screen’s launch captured the attention of the public and the press, resulting in an estimated 530 million media impressions between November 17th and November 19th. The display was featured everywhere from The New York Times to Fast Company, the BBC to Japanese television.
Most importantly, the launch attracted its primary targets: media buyers. The client was inundated with interest from entertainment industry insiders and major brands. Google took over the display for six weeks beginning on November 24, 2014, and the screen has been fully leased for two years.
- 530M media impressions in first 2 days
- Communicator AwardsSilver Award of Distinction, Marketing Effectiveness: Interactive, May 2016
- DSE 2016 Apex AwardsGold, Public Spaces, March 2016
- DSE 2016 Apex AwardsInstallation of the Year, March 2016
- Experience Design AwardsGold, Best Overall Use of Media A/V, February 2016
- HOW International Design AwardsMerit, Advertising (Interactive or Printed), November 2015
- Digital Out-of-Home AwardsFinalist, Wildcard, October 2015
- W³ AwardsGold, Marketing: Environmental: Consumer Electronics, September 2015
- Creativity Media & Interactive Design AwardsGold, Digital Outdoor – Billboard, May 2015
- One ShowMerit Award, Responsive Environments, April 2015